- about sd40
- Board of Education
- Human Resources
- Academic Night School
- Adult Academic Learning
- Apprenticeship Programs
- Career Training Programs
- Continuing Ed General Interest Programs
- French Immersion & Montessori Programs
- Homelearners' Program
- International Baccalaureate
- International Education
- On-Line Learning
- POWER Program
- RCAP (Royal City Alternate Program)
- Urban First Nations
The New Westminster School District is constructing a new elementary school on the site of the former St. Mary's Hospital. The Ecole Qayqayt Elementary School will be occupied in September 2014. The competitive process to select the designer and builder for the new middle school to be constructed on the existing John Robson Elementary School site has been initiated. The selection process will be completed by December 20, 2013. Construction on the middle school will begin once the elementary school is completed. Plans for the replacement of the secondary school on the existing New Westminster Secondary school site are being developed for review by the Ministry of Education.
Additional information is available on the "Capital Project micro site" to provide up-to-date information on the Capital Projects.
The Board of Education has established the following Guiding Principles related to the project:
- Create a place of excellence in learning for its students, and a cornerstone for the community as a whole.
- Require a comprehensive plan for the District - three schools linked.
- Meet the needs of the students - about 3,000 students plus staff and others.
- Meet the needs of the community - neighbourhoods of learning, amenities.
- Work within the Ministry's requirements - budget, standards, operational effectiveness.
- Maximize educational facilities by effective site planning to achieve the best value for money.
- Create a viable long term solution - operating costs, risk management, future uncertainty.
- Be adaptable to changing needs.
- Be expandable to meet growth in demand.
- Address the unsustainable current operations model for Massey Theatre.
- Be built on fair negotiation - land exchanges with the City are to be value for value.
- Time is of the essence; further delay is not acceptable.